Monday, March 21, 2011

Sustainable Fashion Challenge

I'm still going strong through lent, and yet I already know what my next fashion challenge will be. The last 2 years or so I have become increasingly interested in eco-fashion, or fashion that gives back. There are a few companies that have become somewhat mainstream (like my friends TOMs and the FEED project) but there are many companies on the internet that support sustainable fashion. 


The price we pay for fashion is not always the "quality" of the items we buy. Most designers use high quality material and pride themselves on handmade craftsmanship, but the crafts men behind this do not always receive the payment they deserve. Sustainable brands not only take these people into consideration, but their products are created with the idea in mind that the item leaves the smallest environmental impact possible. 


The point is to reduce our carbon footprint, use organic fabrics that have the ability to be recycled again and again when we are done with them, and overall help to mend this planet and keep it healthy for younger generations. 


I'm not perfect, and I love my designer stuff, but it's important to remember that this is our home, our children's home and later, their children. It's the only one we've got. Every step we take to becoming more sustainable will help a little more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment